Wednesday, March 28, 2012

African Ponderings


As I sit here in my bedroom, eating Trader Joes candy (yep. TJ's! Thanks Christine!!) And Deanna is bucket showering in the bathroom. I am thinking back upon the last 11 weeks. I only have 10 days left here, and I am not sure how I feel about going home.
Excited. Yep. That feeling is definitely there. I had pretty bad culture shock the whole 2nd month here, combined with my stalker issue, it was a rough month. I wanted to go home, daily. But I am glad that I stuck it out. I ditched the stalker, and things got better! But still, America beckons. Oh, to walk down the street and not be noticed! I can't wait! If it is an Ethiopian noticing me, than they either yell "Kendra!" or "forenje!" or "you" or some thing to get our attention. If it is a white person than naturally they have to approach us because we are white. I feel like a one man (or woman) parade no matter where I go.
Sad. I love my babies. I don't want to leave them! The kids at the day care are so cute and snuggly, and I am not looking forward to Friday when I have to say goodbye! I can't do it! And then there are the after-school kids. I have seen them everyday mon-fri for the last 2.5 months. I even gained a brother out of it! They know we are leaving soon, and every day they give us huge hugs and say "America you go? Today? Tomorrow? I miss you" Sometimes it is in English or Amharic, but either way, it kills me. I miss you too sweet babies! The connection I have made with these kids is something I can't explain. They expect nothing from me, just my company, and they love me for that. And they are FUNNY! These kids are hysterical. Some of the things they say and do... I don't know where it comes from. And trying to communicate with them is funny in of itself. Both parties look like dorks, half signing, and speaking in broken english/amharic. But we make do, and have some intelligent convos.
I keep asking myself if I would do it again. If I would come here and do it all over, knowing what I know, and I am honestly not sure. I think I would do it a lot different, and then would have a totally different experience. But oh well. You live and you learn, right? 

Anyway, I have a few stories, exciting, right?  

Well, he have some tinish ights. Which translates to small rats. But really we have mice. There have been some new volunteers, and one of them found a mouse in their bed. IN. THEIR. BED! Ewwwww. And then there was one in the guest bathroom. I have told myself that it is safe as long as it is not in my room, or bathroom. Because mice are choosy like that, you know. 
Also Deanna has fleas. (really she just found one on her, but thats still pretty gross.)
On Saturday I rode a camel. It was epic. Because I am in Africa, and rode a camel... in Africa. Legit, right? Right. 
Sidenote: I just took a bucket shower. The last time I really showered was 11 days ago. 
And I am going to splurge and buy cheese today, so I have run, because cheese is waiting.

1 comment:

  1. Good to hear from you both again. Enjoy your last full weekend in Ethiopia. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete