Thursday, March 1, 2012

7 weeks!


I can't believe that I have lived without running water for 7 weeks. I really miss showering, and baths. When I get home (Carey: I know you have a nice big tub!) I want to take a super long, super hot bubble bath.
Last sunday we got invited to a wedding. By invited I mean Dundee told us on Saturday night that we had to go. It was not Dundee's wedding. In America it is not ok to just show up at someones wedding, but apparently it is fine here! Since we were not told of this wedding in advane, we were not prepared clothing wise to go to a wedding. I mean... I am in Africa. The nicest thing I brough was a black skirt from Old Navy. And even that Deanna had worn to church the week before, so until got got at least 3-4 good wears from her and was washed again, it was hers. We don't waste anything here. Clothes must be worn at LEAST 3 times before washings (only pants and shirts. Everything else we wear once. We are not THAT gross). Although we at least try to switch it up and not wear anything twice in a row. Unlike Ethiopians. They wear an outfit for about a week straight before changing. Which I have a lot of questions about, but think it would be rude to ask. But I will ask here, and if anyone has answers, please fill me in.
1. Do they wear pajamas, or sleep in their clothes?
2. Do they change their underwear? Or does that last a week also?
3. Do they shower, and then put the same clothes back on? Wouldn't that defet the purpose of showering?
4. Why do they wear their clothes for so long? I mean, if it is the only clothes they have, then I would totally get it. But I know for a fact that some of them have a lot of clothes!
Woah. Back to the wedding. Focus Kendra. So Deanna wore my black skirt, and a very fancy blue t-shirt, and I wore her denim skirt, and a black shirt. And went to a wedding. Unacceptable in Americe. But I am not in america anymore!
The couple go to our church, and we know them, the woman is American, and the man is Ethiopian. The wedding was very different than any I had been to, but was cool to see. We only went to the ceremony. There was a reception, but the two American friends we went with were not going, and we did not want to go alone.

Guess what! I am clumsy. I did not really realize it before, but I guess its true. I hurt myself a lot. Last week, I was walking in Mexico (not the country) and a man scratched my arm with his bag! I still don't know how it happened, but it did. RUDE! Then a few days ago, I was exiting a taxi, and scraped the back of my leg on the dumb mekina (car). I knew I did it, and once I got inside I saw my blood soaked pants and realized how bad it was. The blood would NOT stop comimg. It took forever, but finally stopped. Deanna was willing to stitch it up if needed. Now I have a very nice, very long cut on the back of my calf. And I fell out of a minibus. Twice. The first time was not as embarrassing, just slipped while trying to get in, but the second was a doozy. Someone had spilled something on the step of the minibus, and as I was stepping down to get out I slipped right out! Everyone in the bus gasped, but it was ok. With my catlike reflexes, I was able to grab the side of the bus before I landed in the street. 
Also, apparently to deanna, ethiopia is a scary place. Last week I was filling up our water bottles in the water cooler, and deanna was standing in the kitchen talking to me, about a foot and a half away. As I finished I said "oookkay!" and then stood up. Apparently it was unexpected because deanna Jumped about a foot in the air and flailed her arms and screamed.  The best night of my life.  And then there was last night. We had a not so great meeting with the guy who is supposed to be in charge of us, and we were angry. I am not going to go into details, and say something mean, but just a recap, he was an hour late to meet us, and then proceeded to yell at us the entire time, and make us feel like crap. Because thats the reason I used all of my savings to come here. It was amazing. So as we were leaving Deanna and I were both pissed. We were walking down the street and I noticed a man sleeping under a blanket on the sidewalk. Deanna was venting and not paying as much attention as I was so as we passed, I was not as surprised when he pulled the blanket from his head to look at us. Deanna jumped may have yelled a few choice words. The man, and myself both cracked up. After the shock wore off Deanna did too. 
Remember out old housekeeper Tigist? We loved her. Se invited us to her house for coffee and we readily accepted. So we met her and her daughter after she got done working at her new job at the school, and we walked to her house. Well, room. She lives in one room smaller than my bedroom, and in it is two beds, a small table and a cabinet for storing food. She was very proud to show it to us, and served us shiro, and had a mini coffee ceremony. Freshly roasted beans, ground in front of you is the best coffee ever. and it is served with popcorn. A wonderful combo! It was so sweet of her to show us her house :)
Tomorrow (friday) we are getting away for the weekend and going to Awassa. I am pumped. some american, and ethiopian friends are going, and it will be a good time. And there will be a shower in the hotel room.  A real shower!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment