Thursday, January 12, 2012

Be still my heart!

Man oh man. Day 2 in Addis. I did not think that I could fall more in love with this place than I was yesterday. But when I woke up and breakfast was ready and waiting, I did! Just kidding. Although that is a nice way to wake up! We walked to the school after we ate, and met the teachers and the kids. Oh my goodness. I can not even begin to describe how cute and adorable these kids are! When we walked in they grabbed at my hands right away, and asked me what my name is. Now all I hear during free time is KENDRA, KENDRA in little Amharic accents. I met my class, they are upper kindergarten. So they are like 6 or 7. I will be teaching them english, math and science. Except on Fridays. It is a half day, and Bible study day. I get to teach them childrens Bible songs (so if you know any good ones let me know!) and read out of the English Bible. I am a little nervous about teaching them. There is only one book, which the teacher uses, and a very small white board in the classroom. How is that going to work?!? The classroom is SO small! Smaller than my bedroom at home, and has long tiny metal tables with mini chairs squeezed in between them. there are almost 30 kids in my classroom. During class they are all SO silent, and pay attention 100%. If one of them even rests their head in their hands the yeacher will nudge them or something to snap them back to attention.

We played outside for over an hour with them, The outside is a fenced in (the fences are metal slabs set next to each other) dirt yard with piles of rubble everywhere. And tires for the kids to climb on. There was a metal slide, although the kids did not use it, I think it was to hot, and 2 swings. But the kids still had a blast! Then we did "sports class" which was just doing streches in the yard. It was to hot to do much, so we just sat in the shade, and the kids played a game similar to 20 questions, although it was in Amharic, so I just sat on the swing talking to the teacher, and getting sunburned. Oops. I guess if you are in Africa you should wear sunscreen. After it was lunch time, and I think my teacher could see I was tired, since she said I could go home for the rest of the day!

So, we went to Kaldis's! My first time figuring out the minibusses without help, and it was a success! The poor conductors (people who ride in the back of the bus, calling for more passengers, and collecting the money) have a hard time understanding my accent, but we eventually got it worked out. I always get a good giggle when trying to say thank you in Amharic. It's a tough language! Since our water is still not working (ugh!) we went to take a shower at a gym (which was super fancy!) our first shower since leaving America! Baby wipes and hats can only cover so much, so we paid for a shower, and let me tell you... it was worth it! We then went to Kaldi's, got some yummy coffee, and then went to the internet cafe, and I got to email some of my peeps! Email is the best way to stay connected, since even facebook is a lot for the internet here! So if you want to email me (and you should! I don't want to get lonely!) my address is kpcs2002@gmail.com. I expect many new emails next time I log in!

We came home, and rested a bit. I am soooo tired. This day feels like it has been really long! We chatted with a few of the workers here. One of them is from Cali, and is staying here for 2 years! She is the only American we have met so far. Hopefully we will meet more at the International Church on Sunday!

Well, it's almost 7:30. This girl is going to bed!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment