Saturday, January 28, 2012

Showers and cooking lessons, my life is grand!



(this blog has taken three days to write. I am sorry for the craziness of it)
Good news. I showered. A real, flowing water, and soap, even shaving, shower! I think it was the most luxurious shower I have ever had. Although thats not very true. It was in a gym, and in America I have showered in some very fancy showers. But not  showing in 13 days does things to a person. So I am clean. This week at least ;)

Yesterday we went to the orphanage, and they were celebrating their 4 year anniversary, and we got a plate full of cookies, cake, and little crouton like things, that were weird. None of it tasted very good, but because of Ethiopian Culture, it is rude not to eat it. So Deanna and I busied ourselves with the kids, and set our plates aside. We took our plates with us when we left at lunch time. right outside of the compound I told deanna that we needed to find someone to give it to, not just throw it away. As I said that a  (beggar looking) teenage boy passed us, came up to us, said "thank you, I love you very much. Take?" and took our plates. I am not sure if we got stolen from, or if we gave them to him. He did not know our intention to give it away, and was not forceful… but really did not ask. Needles to say, Deanna and I have decided to save any and all leftovers to give to the street people. I don't know if you knew this, but there are starving people in Africa. And I am in Africa. 

We had our first Amharic class. I am pretty much fluent. I can say so many things! I can tell people what color clothes they are wearing, and how many of an object they have. I am good to go! We have our next class today… can't wait! After language class, we leered to make Shiro with Tigist. We love Shiro! It is SO SO super easy to make. If anyone back home wants me to make it for them, let me know! I am going to get to make injera today! It supposedly is really hard, but we will see! 

We failed at being Ethiopians yesterday :( We were supposed to go to the orphanage, and we woke up, got ready, and headed out. We waited for the bus outside of our house for an hour. We were supposed to catch the bus to Mexico (hehe, Mexico?) ant then transfer to meganana hiya hulett. But for some reason the buses to mexico never came! We eventually got one that was going to mekanissa, which is on the way to Mexico, so we got on that one. Once we got there, we still could not get a dumb minibus o Mexico. After an hour and a half of trying, we finally gave up, and came back home. We were very upset with ourselves. Come to find out that there was as Africa Union (all the heads of the African countries) meeting and a lot of the roads were closed to the public. Oops. 

It actually worked in our favor. Dundee took us to a handmade toy store, and I was able to buy gifts for my favorite nephews! The Ross family, and I got little Penelope Kendra's first gift! And her big brother Zach ;) All the toys are African looking, and are made with people with disabilities. Pretty sweet find. 

I got to check my email, and got an exciting email from Barb Blasey, the best math teacher at WWCC (Walla Walla Community College) and she said that her students are going to bring in a bunch of things for that babies, and the school kids, and TRiO is going to have a fundraiser to pay for the shipping costs! WOOOHOOO! Thanks! The kids are going to be SO happy! 

This morning we were supposed to go to the school. They were having exams all week, and we were excited that they were done, so we could finally play with them. When we got to the school the gate was closed. Curious. The gate is always open in the morning. So I knocked on the gate, and the guard answered and said that the kids are resting for 10 days. Which means they are on break. Why don't people tell us things! Oh well, we are going to go to Bambis today and go buy some things for the kiddies. Teaching here is HARD! And look around, and see if there is anything we need ;) It supposedly is like a supermarket. Exciting. 

Last thing. When we were walking back to the house from the school, we were waiting for our guard to open the gate, and Bobby, one of our dogs, walked up, and had a goat head in his mouth! I looked at him and said "ewww Bobby!" Which Deanna thinks is the funniest thing to say to a dog. Once the gate opened, Squeekers snuck up and stole the head. Then Dundee chased all 3 dogs around, truing to get the head away from them. It was funny, and so gross. 

No comments:

Post a Comment