Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A blog of randomness.


Nothing big to report, so I am going to fill you in on a lot of little things!

We got pick pocketed yesterday…Well Deanna did. We were walking to lunch yesterday, and a couple of boys came to us asking for money, which is not unusual. We told them no, but they kept walking with us, and asking. Again, not unusual. We told them "senteem yeleem" "I don't have change" (note: Any amharic words on my blog are just sounded out. I have no idea how to spell anything) My bag is very pickpocket proof, and is pretty impossible to get into, unless it is off of my back. Deanna had a purse with her, it was closed, and she had it close to her, but a boy boldly reached in, and tried to take things! She of course pushed him away and told him no, and made sure she had everything of importance (wallet, camera etc) When we got home she realized her headphones, which was in an open pocket, were missing. So, lesson learned. She has since switched to carrying her backpack, and we are now wearing our moneybelts (a flat fanny pack that goes under our clothes). Do not worry… we were perfectly safe, and there were a lot of people around, who would have helped if needed. We are in a city, and with any city setting, comes the chance of "sneaky stealers"! 

Deanna and I are still getting along. We have not had one disagreement, and she is basically the perfect travel buddy. She is not to crazy, and does not want to do scary things, but she does not want to sit at home all day either. I am in charge of the alarm clock, and we wake up at 7am, but I usually wake up before then, and lay in bed for a while. Deanna sleeps as long as she can. One night, apparently she had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. I heard her get up, and I woke right up too! I sat straight up and said very cheerfully, "Wow, your up before me today?!?!" Deanna looked at me like was crazy and told me it was the middle of the night, and to go back to sleep. We had a good laugh in the morning. Also during the night I apparently have been talking in my sleep… Dundee, the owner of the house lives in the compound. His room is on the other side of the wall as ours, although he has a separate entrance. He has told me that he can hear me talking, and laughing in my sleep. Embarrassing? Yep! He thinks its the funniest thing ever. 

The kids at the orphanage tried to braid my hair today. Smooth hair is very unusual around here, lots of people like to touch it. I wish I could keep it cleaner ;) I think I am going to ask them to cornrow it ;) Good news though! I have heard we have running water at the house!!!! I may get to shower today! For the (do NOT judge me!) second time since I have been here!! We have been keeping clean, don't worry, but bottled water is not a shower! 

2 comments:

  1. Kendra - I've enjoyed reading about your adventures. We have a mutual friend, Jen Lumsden, who told me about your blog. She thought I would enjoy it since my family is in the middle of an adoption from Ethiopia! She's right - reading about you being there makes my heart long for our traveling dates to come soon! What do you think the chances are that you've already held and loved on my baby??!! Thanks for going....and for writing about what you're doing! I'll be reading! You can check out our family's story at www.floridafamilystonepile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen that is awesome!! Kendra is pretty amazing and if she has been loving on your baby then your baby is being taken well care of!

    ReplyDelete