Friday, January 20, 2012

With the good, comes the bad.


I realized I have only blogged about the things I love about Addis… So I am going to fill you in on some of my not so favorite things…

1. The dust. It is hot and dry here, and there is dust everywhere. On my feet mostly. but breathing gets hard when it is windy, and I am pretty sure my lungs are red (because the dirt is red). You have to wear sunglasses when walking outside, or else dust gets in your eyes. 

2. The hot sun. It burns you VERY easily. I am a peeling mess, and the nannies at the orphanage were very concerned as to why my skin was coming off. Don't worry, beautiful black skinned women, I am white, and it happens very often! 

3. The lack of running water. Oh how I miss you! I have not had a shower in over a 

Sidenote: While sitting in Lime Tree, in walked an American couple with the CUTEST Ethiopian babies! They passed embassy, and are flying home tomorrow! YAY! I <3 Adoption! 

Anyway… Showering… It has been over a week since I have had a proper shower. We are making due with water bottles, but I am really missing the feeling of being totally clean. No matter how hard I try, it does not seem to happen. 

4. Toilet paper. I miss charmin. And toilet paper in public places. If you go out here you need to remember to bring some with you (which I never seem to remember). But even so, the toilet paper here is like a paper bag. Not soft. 

5. The beggars. I hate when kids come up asking for money. I want to keep them! It is so sad. 


Anyway. I did not want to pretend that everything here is amazing, and great. For the most part, it is ;) But not always! 

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about the poor kids that beg. They are so needy and they are everywhere. It was so great to be able to help some, but so sad that there are way too many for you to help each one.
    I tried to warn you about the Charmin issue. Hope you brought some with you ;)
    I'm so glad you are there and making a difference!
    Love you,
    Julie

    ReplyDelete