Sunday, January 15, 2012

Biggest Market in Africa - They're not kidding!

I was lazy yesterday, and did not write a blog! So this is two days in one. Sorry, I am sure everyone is holding their breath, waiting for my long blogs!

Yesterday was Friday, and the kids get a half day on Fridays, and the time that they are there they get to play and do a little Bible study. It was so much fun! I started to teach them a little song, but it happens to be much harder than you would think! Those kids are smart, but I guess singing a song in a different language must be hard. They sang a bunch of worship songs in Amharic, and it was SOOO cute. They yell as loud as they can, and some close their eyes, and are so into it, it is amazing! To see little kids Worshiping to God... Ugh! Talk about faith like a child! I love them! When is was time to go, some shook my hand and said Ciao. Others kissed my cheek and gave me big hugs. I soaked it up! One little girl lives near us, and held my hand while we walked home. She kept looking back at her family ang giggling. She thought it was the coolest thing ever. And so did I. :)

After school we went to what we thought was a young adult small group held at the International Evangelical Church (ICE). But really it was a planning meeting for the people starting the group. Oops. It was a little boring, but we met some nice people! After, we met some of Dundee's friends at Kaldis, and got some more coffee :) Then we squeezed 6 people into the car again, it was crazy! All the friends made fun of us for laughing so much, which is basically none stop with Deanna and I! We dropped the extra people off, and got a nice tour of the city. We were SOOO tired when we got home, we went straight to sleep.

When we woke up this morning, I looked at the time on my phone, and could not believe that we had slept in until 10:00! We got up and got dressed, ate, and waited for one of the guys to take us to the Marcado. Which is the largest outdoor market in Africa. Once we were on our way, I looked at my watch and told Deanna that it was 9:30am. It took us a while to remember that my phone had never changed time since I left Chicago! HA! We were really thrown off then, and figured we had really woken up at 7am. We rode a couple of Minibuses, and got off at the begining of the Mercado. It was pretty crazy! Imagine chinatown, but bigger, busier, and WAY more insane. There were people everywhere, selling anything you can imagine. There was so much food, spices, clothes, ANYTHING. And the people! I think I just saw about a million people today. And hundreds of donkeys, and goats. And Chickens. That were alive. And hanging upside down just wait for people to come eat them. Eww. Someone asked me if I can cut my own goat in America. I was like, ummmm we buy it at the store... They looked at me like I am crazy. Nope, just American! Deanna and I both bouht a pretty scarf. It is a handmade traditional Ethiopian one, and is pink! Woohoo! Sidenote- We start taking Amharic classes on Monday! Dundee found someone who will teach us an hour a day, for 50birr/hour. Thats about 3USD/hour. So 15USD a week for 5 hours of language class. And we will be the only students. So cheap! And so worth it! I am basically fluent already.

Words I can say (but not spell, so I won't):

Water, two, thank you, How are you(to a man, woman, or group) I am fine, yes, no, hello, Monday, goodbye, And lots of places around the city that I need to say to the conductor to make sure I am on the right minibus.

I can't even describe the feel of theis place. I really hope that everyone gets to experience something like this someday. Most of these people have little to nothing. They live off of less than one american dollar a day, and they do so happily, and with such joy. It just raidiates from them. Even if you cannot communicate or speak the same language, you can just feel the love of Jesus through them. It is so amazing, and I hope that a little bit of that will rub off onto me!

Xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Love your posts...keep 'em coming sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this blog! I feel like I am experiencing everything that you are... in a not so cool of way! I hope your lessons go good! Have I told you lately how proud I am of you? I am SUPER proud of you! Enjoy it for the both of us!

    ReplyDelete