Saturday, February 4, 2012

Best night of my life


Last night (friday) was not shaping up to be a very exciting night. We had an Amharic lesson planned, and that was about it. Fun stuff. 

During our exciting lesson (really, it is fun! Ready is basically the best teacher, equal to Amare, of course!) Amare came inside, and said, "sorry to interrupt, but my mom is making injera". I was quite relieved, because these lessons are getting more and more difficult. With permission from Ready, and forcing him to come along to be our camera man, we headed across the dirt path to make some injera! Amare's mom, whom everyone refers to as Mother, was in the injera making room, and in it was an electric injera grill. It is basically a large electric round skillet. Hard to explain… but she had already prepared the teff (batter)  and was going at it! You have to pour the teff in a spiral on the maker, from the outside in. It is hard because the teff is very thin, and you can't leave holes, or make it to thick. Deanna went first, and did a really good job! She had one thick spot, and was pretty much a circle shape. I was impressed! Then it was my turn… And mine was shaped like Australia. I obviously did it on purpose, as a homage to all of my favorite Australians that I miss in NJ! (Meg, email me!!) 

When we had finished, we were invited inside for some shie. (tea) and we ate my injera. It was very delicious. Probably the best I have ever had. We had some cinnamon tea, and cookies. They were dry, so pretty good, compared to the other desserts i have tried here. 

We then came home, and started a game of frisbee. It was us, Ready, Desta, and Amare's brother, Amen. We played some normal catch, monkey in the middle, and then taught the Ethiopians 500. It was a lot of fun. Then something amazing happened. There was a power outage. A city wide power outage! Deanna and I looked at each other, and said "ghost in the graveyard!!!!" We explained how to play, and got to it. Everyone was just as excited as we were. They are all in their 20's, and for some reason play along with Deanna and my antics. I love them. So we played GITGY for a while, and then switched to regular old hide-and-seek. The best part of this is that the minibus was back in our driveway. When Desta was it, Deanna and I both crawled into the back of the bus, and hid on the floor, between the seats. It took Desta around 20 mins to find us, and apparently he was getting very worried about us. Us Americans are the best hiders! We played until 10pm, and then the power came back on. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun. 

While we were having tea after making injera, deanna commented that her contacts were bothering her. Ready sort-of freaked out, and said "what!? You have them in your eyes!? NOW? Can I see!?" After inspecting her eyes, he said "wow, i've only seen those in movies!" Ha! We laughed. A lot. 

Also, he asked us how old we were, Deanna told him that she was 22, and  I said I was 24. He was surprised (like everyone else) that I am older. Then he looked at me, and said "I like older!" He said it very creepily, but did not mean it that way. He was meaning since he is 27, that he is glad that we are both not super young. But it was really funny. Deanna and I cracked up, and he had no idea why. Poor Ready. I think we are making him worry about his english skillz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment