Thursday, February 2, 2012

Week of rest?

This week has been an odd week. Since our normal school kids are off, we have bee teaching the street kids instead. They usually have an after school program for them, but this week they are able to go during the day. The kids love school! The smell in the small classrooms is not pretty. Thank God for windows, and beautiful, sweet kids who make all the hand holding, and dirty kisses not only worth it, but that much more special. I can wash my hands and face later. Also since Deanna and I found that catching a minibus at 7am is impossible, we have not been able to make it to the orphanage this week :( I miss my babies! Even Amare came with us this morning to see if he could get us a bus... no luck.

Good thing though! He invited is to go with the Strong Hearts youth group (teens) to a retreat an hour outside of the city. It was a ton of fun. Amharic worship song battles, lots of joking, and making fun of the Americans... whats not to like? We went to a big lake, and just explored, and breathed in fresh air for the first time in weeks! The lake was so beautiful! I loved it, and it made me excited for our trip to Southern Ethiopia!

People here decorate their cars/minibuses. Pimp my ride style, but usually with religious items. On the bus today was a very large picture of Jesus. Deanna whispered to me:
D-That man on the sticker... is it Jesus?
Me-yeah...
D-So he's white, even here?

I died. And then explained that Jesus was Jewish, and we have pretty legit proof that he was, in fact white.

I posted more pics on FB! Check them out!
That is my quick update for today. For more Ethiopian goodness, read Deanna's blog too!
Deannasadventureofalifetime@blogspot.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment