Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Worst African fears confirmed.

This is the blog Deanna wrote about our night last night. I cannot bring myself to write about it. I just want to be in America.



Last night started off just fantastically. Kendra and I turned on one of two English TV channels, and Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was on. We decided that this could be a fun movie to watch. Our dilemma was the couches. They aren't the most comfortable I've ever sat on, and if we were going to stay up to watch a movie we were going to need better seating. Quickly, we found a solution: bring out a matress and sleeping bag. We did exactly that, and were very pleased. Of course, Amare and Masresha found it hilarious, but what else is new. After getting comfortable, we remembered that Amare had bought popcorn in a can the other day. Popcorn in a can?! Fun! Obviously popcorn and a movie is a good choice, and making popcorn from a can using the stove (old school!) makes the choice even better.

Unfortunately this is where it all went downhill.

We excitedly got up and headed out to the kitchen. Allow me to help you try to picture the setting. Amare and Masresha were finishing a late dinner in the house, sitting at the kitchen table by our little family room / eating area. They were going to come help us with the stove after we got set up, because the stove is quite tricky...you have to turn on the gas tank then turn on the stove and light the flame and sometimes it's a little frightening. Now, the kitchen where food is prepared is outside. You leave our house, and along the side of the house is kind of like another teeny tiny house. There are two rooms that you enter from outside, and the kitchen which you also enter from outside. Essentially an outdoor kitchen. It's very small, and the light doesn't work. It was nighttime, so it was very dark. Luckily, we had our phone to light the way until Amare and Masresha came out to help. Anyways, we go into the kitchen and Kendra opens the cabinet to take out a pot for the popcorn. That's when it happened.

It all happened so quickly. My thought process was as follows, "Woah something just ran out of the cabinet! Oh man it's big and black and it's running at me! There ARE rats here, I KNEW it!!!" There were most likely some profanities in those thoughts, considering what was actually coming out of my mouth in that split second is not appropriate to post in my blog. Kendra took the worst hit. She was right in the line of fire and the nasty rodent actually made contact with her, running over her foot. I had started running and screaming immediately, and Kendra was not more than a second behind me. We got to higher ground (aka we stood on a step outside the kitchen...as if the rat couldn't climb one step?) and continued screaming.

Amare, Masresha and Desta came running and looked genuinly concerned for our well-being...until we screamed at them that a rat just jumped out of the cabinet at us. Then they just about died laughing. Amare couldn't even move, he was laughing so hard. We continued freaking out, and told them to find it while we refused to leave our safe higher ground. Desta brought a flashlight over and they checked the teeny little kitchen. No luck. They assured us that he had escaped, and it was okay to come into the kitchen. We weren't so sure, but we tried to be brave and cautiously made our way back in. It didn't help one bit that all three boys were having a fantastic time freaking us out by brushing our feet with things, turning off the flashlight to scare us, and any other trick they could play.

Amazingly, we still made popcorn (under the protection of three guys who were willing to kill the rat if he showed his disgusting face again) and returned safely inside.

And so, my fears have been confirmed. If you remember from a few posts ago, I awoke one night and swore I heard some sort of rodent on the roof. I was only comforted by that fact that I not actually seen one. Well, now I've seen it. And this was no small mouse. This thing was legit. It had to be as big as two baseballs (I know that's not a very good comparison, but all I can think of besides that is "it was as big as a giant, black rat" and that's not helpful at all). Gross. Disgusting.

Needless to say, I had to check under my blankets before I went to bed last night. The coast was clear, and somehow I slept just fine. Perhaps because I still haven't seen a rat inside the house, I feel relatively safe. But I know he's still out there somewhere, probably with all his nasty rat friends. And can I just remind you once more that we found him in our kitchen?! Ew. That's just never a good place for a rat.

Amare and Desta just came in to say good morning to us, and to see if we survived the night. They're still laughing and making fun of us. I have a feeling we're not going to live this down for awhile :)

Ew.

No comments:

Post a Comment