Friday, February 3, 2012

Written entirely by yours truly.

Where to start...

I have been having dreams about spiders. (Elissa, please come kill them all!) Two nights ago, I had a dream (or it could have been real, I am not exactly sure yet) that there was a massive black spider in the corner above my bed. I sat up, and asked Deanna to turn on the light. I think that is when I woke up. I was sitting, and knew that I had seen a spider, but it was so dark in our room that it really would have been impossible to see one. And Deanna was still asleep. If I had really told her that I had seen a spider, home girl would not have been asleep. So I laid back down, and after what felt like hours of trying to look into the dark abyss of my room, convinced myself that I was really dreaming and to go back to sleep. Then last night, I woke up again, and saw a not so massive spider on my wall. So I reached for my shoe, and killed it. I went back to sleep feeling accomplished, and brave. When I woke up this morning I proudly told Deanna about it, and went to show her the spider who was smashed on the wall. It was gone. Or maybe never was there. The shoe was next to my bed, where I had left it.... But I think it was a dream. And I killed a fake spider. Seriously Kendra. There are bigger worries in your life. Case and point, as I type, a giant african killer bee is flying around my flavored Ambo. This is horrifying for 2 reasons. 1, if it is in fact a killer bee, which I doubt it is, because the guy behind the desk of the hotel is laughing at us... it would be a bad way to die. And 2, flavored Ambo is the best thing ever. It is made here in Ethiopia, and sooooooo good. I think I will have an entire suitcase full of it when I come home. I can't imagine life without it. If the bee touches m Ambo, I am gonna be MAAADDDD.

Our house had water!! Not running water... don't get crazy over there... but a bucket of water. Which when your daily shower is consisting of a water bottle, a bucket is like luxury. We even used the electric tea pot, and boiled some water, and added it to the bucket. VOILA! Warm water! WHAT?!?! I am clean, and happy, and am going to do it again. TONIGHT! Woah. Now this is living large. Going back to America is going to be crazy. Getting water from a sink. BATHS! Brushing your teeth with as much water as you want. Unfathomable. Really though, Deanna and I talk all the time how weird it is that we just totally adjusted to living like this. As much as I like to complain... it really is not a problem. So what if I am a little dirty. I see kids here who I am sure have never had a bath in their lives. Or know what a toothbrush is. Why did I get to be born in America? Maybe I did not have everything growing up... but I had a lot. I may have had to share a bed with my sister, who puked on me, but I had a bed. People here are always sleeping in the streets. Babies, curled up next to their moms, trying to stay warm. Its not fair.

I want to help every single person, especially the kids... and I can't. It is killing me. The amount of abundance we have in America... and don't even think about is insane. My favorite thing to do is not finish my food while at a restaurant, and give the leftovers to someone on the street. They are always so grateful, and surprised that I don't want to keep it. It makes me wonder how many times I brought leftovers home in America, and ended up throwing them out.

Speaking of leftovers... Deanna has a sweet tooth. She is on a mission to eat dessert. So we orderd some very good looking cake! I went to take a bite, and literally almost vomited. It was horrible. It was wet. Like they soak it in water. I don't understand. if you push on it water leaks out of the cake. It is not natural. So We complained to Dundee. He took us to Kaldi's to try their cake, which is apparently good. He promised I would like it, and I was doubtful. Give me a box of cheezeits over cake any day. So he ordered white cake. One bite of the liquid nastiness and I declared I did not like it. So he ordered the tiramisu... which I knew I would not like. "just try" he said. So I did... and it was DRY! YAY! Buuuttt... tasted like tiramisu. Eww. Then he ordered the chocolate cake... and I was hopeful. I love me a good chocolate cake! But once I pushed my fork into the soggy, soggy cake I knew the outcome was failure. Someone made out good on leftover nasty cake that night. The hunt for good cake is still on. Or just boxed cake I can make myself. Or even better... brownies! YUUMMMM!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment